Friday, March 6, 2009

Reflections and Connections to the Movie "Wetback"

This gives me a new perspective on the hardships crossing borders. I never really realized how many sacrifices people make to cross the borders to try and have a better life. Many die. The immigrants are so determined, and long for a better life, and work to reach their goal, even when their world is falling down. I think it’s very important that we are learning their perspectives. I learned that immigration is due to many things, but mainly a failing economy. I’ve heard that there are many starving people in the world, but it never really clicked. In the video one man said something like, “I only want one good meal, but that’s impossible.” That stuck with me. I never really realized how lucky I am to have good food. I feel sad for the people who try their best in life, but can’t live their dream, and can’t support themselves and families.

Labor issues also came up in the movie. Workers in Niagara, and many parts of the world including our country, aren’t given the fair amount of money in return for their hard work: farming, making clothes, picking fruits, coffee, cacao, etc. I had an idea that unfair labor may be closely linked to immigration in some ways. It is crazy how many people in the world don’t do things for the greater good and let people suffer because of money and greed. The video so far has helped my understanding of immigration because the visuals were so powerful, like the men drinking water that was falling from roof gutters while on their journey to a new country…

This video connects with Ask Me No Questions because in both cases they want a better life, and are trying to reach their goal, even though there are many risks involved. Both parties are trying to be silent and are trying be unseen and unheard by the government and others. The characters from the book and the men in the video both long to succeed, and live healthy, happy lives. Maybe someday those hard working, “unseen”, life-sacrificing immigrants will get a voice and live better lives.

Immigration is such a complex topic—it’s hard to break it down because there are so many factors involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment