Sunday, March 15, 2009

Log 8 (Thread of Hope)

“And me, I don’t know what to do with myself anymore. I can’t figure out how to get us through this—to pick up the thread of working together, to continue our fight. None of it seems possible.” –page 95

In this sentence when I read the word “thread”, it made me think of a thread of hope. Their hope has been growing weaker and weaker until now only a thread is left. Nadira is in a tough situation because she seems like the only one holding on to that thread of hope, and has the potential to make it stronger, except she doesn’t know how. Nadira said, “I don’t know what I’m trying to find out, but it’s inside me someone where.” –page 96 Why did Aisha give up hope and Nadira did not? I think that Nadira didn’t get all down in the dumps because younger people have this attitude like, I can save the world type of thing, and they go for it. The older you get, you (probably) think more realistically, and realize how it’s unlikely you can save the world, and just stop trying. I think Nadira has this young people attitude and Aisha sees things realistically, and doesn’t bother trying if the odds are really against her.

I hope Nadira figures out a way to help, but it seems like the situation is in the hands of the law and immigration officers. It seems like more of a grown up problem. My advice to Nadira for now is to work hard in school, and tell a teacher about the situation because they could help a lot. (See my response to Puja’s blog post for more info.) Albert Einstein once said, “No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it. We must learn to see the world anew.” This quote exactly matches the situation. Nadira could try and see the situation in a different perspective, but I think it’s her best bet is to talk to a trusting teacher who hasn’t heard of the problem. The teacher could be honest, caring, understanding, supportive and eager to help—just what Nadira needs. Nadira can’t go on having Aisha weighting her down, because eventually it may break Nadira down too. Nadira has the power to become independent and help get her family out of this mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment