Sunday, March 1, 2009

Log 2 (chapters 3 and 4)

“A few years later the men with ledgers got their way. When the British left as rulers, a new map with new borders was laid upon us. This was called Partition. Bengal was finally lopped in half: one part belonged to the new nation of India and held mostly Hindus. The other part, where we lived, held mostly Muslims and belonged to the other new nation, Pakistan. It was a funny kind of map, since Pakistan lies more than a thousand miles away with India in between.” –page 21

What struck me the most in chapter 3 is that British men split Bengal into two parts to separate their religions and races. (That is how I interpreted it...) I think the British men created the tension that is now between the split up country. I wanted to know why did they split it into two parts? 1. I don’t think they belong there, intruding and messing with another country. 2. The country does not belong to them. 3. What is the purpose-do they want to take control? And 4. What is the point in creating tension and breaking the harmony between a country where the people share the same love and passion for it? I guess many people in the world don’t do things for the greater good, which is really a shame… After reading this chapter the British seem out of place. (It would be interesting to get a British person’s perspective.) I am a little puzzled after reading this section because I don’t understand how the British divided up the country, and I don’t know the country’s name… Chapter 3 was full of details. Personally I like reading about Nadria’s reflections on her country, borders, and stories rather than the current events that are taking place in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment