Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Log 9 (Nadira Blew it!)

“Mr. Friedlander edges closer. ‘Nadira, you can tell me. There’s so much going on these days. In the news. Have you or Aisha have been harassed?’” page 111

I thought this was Nadira’s golden opportunity to talk to a trusting teacher about her tough situation. I thought it was “golden” because Mr. Friedlander started and opened up the conversation, and asked if she is okay. She should have spoke her mind and told him about her tough situation, but instead she LIED! I believe Nadira should have told Mr. Friedlander the whole story, (despite her parents not wanting to give out any personal information to anyone but family). She should have told him because she’d get a lot off her mind, and talking it out might have eased her mind a little too. I bet Mr. Friedlander would not do anything bad to her, like report her visa status or something, but instead be a great help. With his different perspective he could “save the day”, (not literally), but he could give great advice and suggestions on what she should do, and maybe speak with someone in the law. This scene was also very vivid. I can imagine the intensity in the room. The phrase that stuck out to me the most is, “Mr. Friedlander edges closer. ‘Nadira, you can tell me.’” This also shows that he cares, and wouldn’t want to do any harm, but help.

I was pretty sure that Nadira wants to tell someone, because on page 29 she said, ““But sometimes I feel like shaking their sleeves and blurting out, Ask me. Please.” Why did Nadira back down?! Someone asked her, like she wanted, and she had the perfect opportunity to talk it out with her trusting teacher. I am so confused, why did she back down?! I am kind of upset and disappointed in Nadira that she didn’t talk it out. I wonder what her reason was not to... Nadira didn’t have the guts to tell the truth to a trusting teacher, but instead had the guts to lie to him. In another situation she had the guts to lie and pretend she was selling cookies to spy on a manicurist that worked for Lily’s father. She did it in order to help Lily, but even went into her house. This seems so backwards!!!!! With a lot of thought I think it’s her best solution for now to talk to her teacher. I really want her to talk to her teacher and see what happens. If she doesn’t by the end of the book, I’d be sad… In my mind she had the perfect opportunity but blew it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment