Sunday, March 22, 2009

Log 11

“His eyes flicker impatiently.” -page 130

I wanted to talk about this sentence, which may seems so insignificant compared to the events that happened in the chapter: Nadira saving her father.

This sentence popped out at me. At first it popped out at me because it was very descriptive. However, on the other hand when I decoded this sentence I found something very meaningfully and deep. This sentence in the chapter and in the whole book seems very insignificant. It reminded me that sometimes I feel insignificant, just another human being on this planet. It reminded me that sometimes I feel helpless, and that I think I can’t help the world become a better place, even though I want to. I want to grow up and perhaps be someone big and important like Jeff Corwin. Jeff Corwin is my hero!!! What is very interesting to me is that Jeff said sometimes he feels powerless. That really stuck out because it sends a message that I can overcome this feeling of helpless (that maybe many people do), and do something great in my life and help make the world a better place like Jeff does.

Here’s the link to the video where Jeff mentions feeling powerless. It is at the very end of the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uiq_T3cG6w&feature=related



6 comments:

  1. Hey Falcon it's Nickay! I love how you compaired your helplessness to your hero, and how you can overcome that feeling in the same way that he does. You are NOT powerless, by the way. Everyone on this plant has the will to ghange anything they want, whether they decide to use it or not is another matter.
    I love how you fount this simple sentence so meaningful and deep, and how you could relate to your own life and hero. I guess even powerfull characters can feel down sometimes, but then you have to pick yourself right back up and carry on, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Nickie!!! You're awesome. Thanks for the meaningful feedback, I really appreciate it.

    -From Jeff Corwin's #1 fan!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you compared yourself to Jeff Corwin!! I too, feel powerless sometimes; just another person in this HUGE world!! But then we realize that we can do small things to help this world. I really like how you picked such an insignificant sentence and wrote a lot about it! Very nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I never said it was insignificant, only that it SEEMS insignificant. In this case the sentence didn't seem important, but it was. I think it was very significant because it added a lot of detail and I took that sentence and turned it into something powerful. It reminds us that sometimes we have that feeling of helplessness, but we can overcome that and do good in the world. It reminds us that every word counts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you said in that last comment, "It reminds us that every word counts". It's totally true. We have to think carefully about what we say, because the wrong word could pop out and ruin everything. I also like how you turned that sentence into something very powerful, I am kinda inspired to start thinking and annotating more in the book XD. Did this take some intense thinking or what??

    ReplyDelete
  6. You is obsessed with Jeff! in a good way. Awesome sentence. I think everyone feels powerless at one point.

    ReplyDelete