Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Log 3 (Nadira's knack for describing characters)

“Ma calls him Bagh’a, which means “tiger” in Bangla, because he’s got this wide face with narrow eyes and a fearsome temper.” –page 33 (Describing Tareq)

“His name is Tim, and he has hair the color of orange wheat and freckles on the backs of his hands. He’s so tall he had to stoop a little when he shook Abba’s hand.” –page 39

I’ve noticed that Nadira has a knack for describing people. From reading her introductory sentence of a character I get a clear image of the person and their personality. She also describes the characters’ actions in such a way that contributes a lot to their personalities. I can picture Tim as a nice man because the tone she used to describe him was very friendly. I also think the phrase “orange wheat” stood out as friendly, and as a result, contributed a lot to the friendly tone. On the other hand I can picture Tareq as a hotheaded guy because she used the phrase “fearsome temper”. Nadira also did an excellent job describing his nickname and face; it contributed a huge amount to him being hotheaded. I love the contrast between Tareq and Tim. When I read the descriptions one after the other I get very vivid, powerful images. I think picturing the contrast of the two side by side creates even more powerful images than reading about them in different pages in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment